Frequently Asked Questions about Chinese Visa
What do I need for applying for my Chinese Visa?
Original passport with at least six months of remaining validity and blank visa pages, and a photocopy of the passport’s data page and the photo page if it is separate.
- Visa Application Form and Photo
One completed Visa Application Form with a recently taken color passport photo (bare-head, full face) against a light background attached.
If you’re not applying the visa in your country of citizenship, you must provide the original and photocopy of your valid certificates or visa of stay, residence, employment or student status, or other valid certificates of legal staying provided by relevant authorities of the country you’re currently staying.
- Photocopy of previous Chinese Passports or previous Chinese Visas (Applicable to foreign citizens who were Chinese citizens and have obtained foreign citizenship.)
If you’re applying for a Chinese Visa for the first time, then you should provide your previous Chinese passport held, and a photocopy of its data page.
If you have obtained Chinese Visas before and want to apply for a Chinese Visa with a renewed foreign passport that does not contain any Chinese Visa, you should present the photocopy of the previous passport’s data page and the photo page, if it is separate, as well as the previous Chinese Visa page(s).
(If your name on the current passport differs from that on the previous one, you must provide an official document of name change.)
Original and photocopy of Admission notice issued by a school or other entities in China.
Documents on the commercial activity issued by a trade partner in China or trade fair invitation or other invitation letters issued by relevant entity or individual. The invitation letter should contain:
- Information on the applicant (Full name, Gender, Date of Birth, etc.)
- Information on the planned visit, relations between the applicant and the inviting entity or individual, financial source for expenditures.
- Information on the inviting entity, official stamp, signature of the legal representative or inviting individual.
One of the following documents:
- Foreign Employment Permit of the People’s Republic of China issued by Chinese government authorities for Human Resources and Social Security, as well as Invitation Letter of Duly Authorized Entity or Confirmation Letter of Invitation issued by relevant Chinese Entities.
- Permit for Foreign Experts Working in China issued by the State Bureau of Foreign Experts as well as Letter of Invitation of Duly Authorized Entity or Confirmation Letter of Invitation issued by relevant Chinese Entities.
- Registration Certificate of Resident Representative offices of enterprise of foreign countries (regions) issued by Chinese Authorities of industrial and commercial administration, as well as Invitation Letter of Duly Authorized Entity or Confirmation Letter of Invitation issued by relevant Chinese Entities.
- An approval document for commercial performances issued by the Chinese government authorities for cultural affairs or Invitation Letter of Duly Authorized Entity or Confirmation Letter of Invitation issued by relevant Foreign Affairs Office of provincial governments of China.
- Letter of Invitation to Foreigners for Offshore Petroleum Operations in China issued by China National Offshore Oil Corporation.
** We kindly remind you that: **
Holders of Z Visa shall, within 30 days from the date of their entry, apply to the exit/entry administrations of public security organs under local people’s governments at or above the county level in the proposed places of residence for foreigners’ permits.
The invitation letter may be in the form of fax, photocopy or computer printout, but the consular office may require the applicant to submit the original of the invitation letter.
If necessary, the consular officer may require the applicant to provide other proof documents or supplementary materials, or require an interview with the applicant.
The consular officer will decide on whether or not to issue the visa and on its validity, duration of stay and number of entries in light of specific conditions of the applicant.
NOTE: All of these Visas are only able to be applied for in specific circumstances. We therefore fully encourage all applicants to understand their own travel purpose and the Chinese Visa situation before applying.