Teaching is one of the oldest jobs in history and one of the most rewarding. That’s why we do it all the time. Even in our daily lives. We teach our kids, our friends, our family, even “teach” ourselves.
What do you get out of teaching career?
A teaching career is not always the best paid career you can find, but it is one of the most fulfilling. Learning even the smallest thing can add to someone’s life, and knowing that you helped them learn it not only allows you to see your students thrive but can also give the most incredible feeling of satisfaction.
Great accomplishments are usually rewarded with prizes, bonuses and different material gifts. But as a teacher, your greatest rewards are purely emotional. Seeing your students learn, pass the exams, grow, develop and achieve becoming a better version of themselves. There is no material reward that can compete with the joy you get when glimpse the moment you see your children break through and succeed.
Like in any career, some teachers are better than others. There are a lot of things a teacher has to learn in order to be a good educator, and this learning process never stops not only because of new and modern techniques but also because every child is different. That is why teaching draws out so many aspects of character from within a teacher allowing each one to grow and develop their own character and teaching style.
Is teaching career for you?
- A good teacher is always kind with his/her students making them feel relaxed and welcome in the classroom. A good and relaxed atmosphere will make your students more responsive and more active during the class.
- Be empathetic. Empathy is an important characteristic in anyone’s life not only for a teachers’ career. Being able to put yourself in your student’s shoes, see things through their eyes and understand their point of view will help you understand them better and will help you teach better.
- Being positive, as a teacher, is not always easy. Sometimes we are facing a lot of problems and difficulties during our classes and staying positive in these moments can have a great impact on the students and turn difficult classes around.
- Patience is a virtue,specially in the classroom. Students have different understanding and different learning rhythms so being patient and no getting frustrated is very important.
- One of the most important things a teacher has to do is to inspire. As teachers we are not only feeding them information that one day they might use, but we are building their careers and their lives. It is our duty to inspire them to be the best they can be.
Teaching can be challenging, frustrating, time demanding and sometimes even frightening. But all that will disappear as soon and you see in your students eyes the change that happens when they understand something new.
As a teacher you will not only influence your student’s life, but you will also help build a better community, a better society and a better world. A world where the future generations will get the opportunity to live a better life.